***Warning - you might be very hungry after reading this!***
Stagecoach Inn - Salado, TX
This was a little emotional stop for me. This was one of my Dad's favorite places to eat and come to. It's a restaurant attached to a hotel. Mom and Dad had driven the 2 hours to Salado, eaten a yummy dinner, walked around town (it is a very cute and quaint town) and stayed the night many times. I was last here with him on his birthday, probably 10 years ago.
It's home cooking at it's finest. They have about 6 things on the menu, that it told to you (not written down), and they do those 6 things really, really well. Each meal includes: chicken broth, hush puppies, salad, entree with 2 sides and dessert. Michael and I both got the Chicken Fried Steak and it was probably the best I have ever had!
| Me and my boys at the Stagecoach. |
| My Chicken Fried Steak |
| Jonathan liked this place! |
| Ben liked it too! He got lots of attention from the waitresses. |
| They built the building around this tree, they say it is 600 years old. |
Neither Michael or I had ever been to Salt Lick, but we had heard a lot about it. Unfortunately, Michael still hasn't been...when we arrived in Austin, he really wasn't feeling well. So we decided to leave him in the hotel to sleep while the boys and I went to visit with Sean and Britania...and we went to Salt Lick with out him! Sorry babe! I did bring him left overs, but he wasn't up for them. But I did buy him some of their famous BBQ sauce, which we did bring home and will have to use very soon!
| The famous BBQ pit. They let you walk back in the kitchen to see. It was really cool and smelled so good! It felt good to, it was a cold and rainy day. |
| "Whats all that meat doing there?" |
| This picture cracks me up - Jonathan was a little excited! |
| Yum. We got the "All You Can Eat Meat Plate" and requested the burnt end brisket! It was divine. |
The Guenther House - San Antonio, TX
The Guenther House is the only one of these 4 restaurants that both Michael and I had already been to together. It is one of my favorite places. It is attached the Pioneer Mill. You know, the people who make the pancake and biscuit mixes. They took over this historic home on the property of the mill and they are a full service restaurant. I prefer having breakfast there and I love their coffee so much that I order bags on line at least twice a year.
It is not only a feast for your mouth, but for your eyes. As the property and home are beautiful. The house backs up to the Riverwalk. But make sure you have plenty of time when coming here...we were here for a total of like 2.5 hours! We waited for just over an hour for a table. That was probably my only complaint. It didn't seem that they were prepared for the Spring Break rush.
| My boy and me in front of one of the entrances. |
| Smiley boy and daddy...waiting... |
| Cutie pie in his St. Patrick's Day shirt - "Mommy's Little Golden Boy". That is part of the Riverwalk behind him. |
| The Pioneer Mill. |
| The house. |
| Finally seated! We are happy! |
| Already planning our next stop! Where too next Jonathan?? - He says "The Riverwalk Boat!" - more on that later! |
| Poor buddy. He crashed out at the end of our meal. He was super tired. He is also wearing his St. Pat's Day shirt, "I got your pot of gold right here". |
Blue Bonnet Cafe - Marble Falls, TX
Last on our list and on our way home, the famous Blue Bonnet Cafe! I had been here once before with Mom, Dad and Amy on a family trip to Fredricksburg many years before. I knew it was something that Michael would love, and he did! They are famous for their PIES! But they also have some good home cooking too! Michael got a Cheeseburger and I got the Pot Roast. We both enjoyed our meals, but my pie was the best part of my culinary experience on the trip!!!
| The Blue Bonnet Cafe. |
| The boys and some of the PIES!!! |
| PIES, PIES, PIES!!!! |
| Michael got the Pecan Pie! |
| Ben had a Cheerio! (Jonathan had a scoop of ice cream. I really don't know how I didn't get a photo of it!) |
Alright I am seriously starving now, and we just came from the Guenther House this morning! We must visit the Stagecoach and Bluebonnet soon. And it won't hurt to do Saltlick... :) We do the same thing with food. I have some things I want to try the next time we are in Dallas!
ReplyDelete