Friday, July 20, 2012

Swim Lessons

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post and if you were wondering where we went this time, the answer is - the POOL! Both boys had swim lessons every morning for the past 2 weeks. It's been a lot of fun, but also quite exhausting! Our time slot was 9:00-9:40. So it was an ordeal to get them both up, dress them in bathing suits, feed them, sun-lotion them up, drive through construction and get down to the pool by 9! But we did it and didn't miss a single class and all 3 of us had a good time! (Not to mention, afterwards, drying them off, changing them into dry clothes and coming back home. I was worn out! I took a nap every day last week! I needed it!)

Jonathan was in the Preschool class. It is for ages 3-5. The basic description is: water adjustment and pool exploration with songs and games. In other words, not really teaching them how to swim, just getting them used to it! As I stated earlier this summer, my goal is to get him "adjusted" to the water! I was so happy that the lessons did exactly what they promised! He loved his swim lessons! He couldn't wait to go back! He talked about it non-stop. He was sad on the last day and wanted to know why it had to end! I couldn't be happier!

In fact, Jonathan was promoted to the next level class - Level 1. So we are considering trying to get him into the last session of the summer, starting next week, so he doesn't lose his momentum! Stay tuned.

Benjamin was in the "Mommy and Me" class. I took this class with Jonathan a couple of years ago, so I knew what to expect. It is basic things, like pool safety, teaching us how to get in and out with babies in our arms, how to dunk them, teaching them to float...but mainly singing songs and chatting with the other mom's! Ben could take it or leave it. He clung to me most of the time. The lifeguards that taught our class were determined to get him to smile, and it finally happened, but only once! They teased him that he had the best "What the Heck?" expression they had ever seen. I agree. He is really good at making that face! Ben spent most of the class pointing at birds, clouds or other random things and it cracked me up how many people would look around to see what he was pointing at!

I was lucky, because one of my good friends, Sarah was in the Mommy and Me class with me and her baby Lila, AND her other 2 kids were in the Preschool class with Jonathan. We go to church and the Day School together so, I think it helped all of us to have a friend along for the fun!

The Hurst Public Pool and Rec Center is where the lessons are held! It is a really neat pool area!

Jonathan, his class and his teacher on the first day!

The kids kick their feet while one of the kids is pulled through the water by one of the life guards and then they dunk them at the end! It kinda sounds bad, but watch the video attached and you will see!!

Playing Red Light, Green Light. Apparently it is dance time. Funny kids!


Brother is watching too!!

He was so excited to go down the big blue slide all by himself! He had been talking about it all week! I was so proud!!!

J is going up the water playground!

He can't get enough of the slides. He went up there to get in line for the orange slide!

It looks like they are both saying "MOM"! - You can see more slides behind them, J went on all of those too!!! Had a scare with Jonathan going under. I was watching him go down and then I noticed he was on his belly, instead of his bottom (Little dare devil!) And of course when he came out he went face first into the water...but he head just wasn't coming up. So I ran over right as a lifeguard was lifting him up out of the water. Jonathan coughed out some water and coughed for a little while. But then he recovered. It scared me pretty bad. - He later told me that he was trying to swim. He opened his eyes underwater and everything. We asked him what he saw and he said, "a lot of legs!" ha! And he asked if he could go back and try it again! :)


This is a video of Jonathan's swim class. He is a "Tall Giraffe", then he dunks and then you can see each of the class mates jump into the pool! It's good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment