Monday, July 2, 2012

Perdido Key, FL - The Blue Angels

I was so delighted to find out that the Blue Angels Home base is in Pensacola, FL. We found out that they practice every Tuesday and Wednesday morning and it is open to the public to come watch. There are 1,000 seat bleachers, first come, first serve. BUT, if you are anywhere near, you will probably see or hear them!

I have a soft spot for the Blue Angels, it was something my mom LOVED and I mean LOVED! Anytime I hear them mentioned, I think of her. I know she would have loved to be there with us. But as I watched one of the jets go straight up, so high that we couldn't see them anymore, I thought, no she's got the better seats!!  

We didn't get there in time to get into the bleachers, but we got onto the Air Force base and pulled over near a beach and were able to watch them. It was an INCREDIBLE SHOW!

A perk is that there is an Naval Aviation Museum next to the practice field and it is HANDS DOWN, COOLEST MUSEUM I HAVE EVER BEEN TO! There were 100's of planes, everywhere you looked. It was with out a doubt the highlight of the trip. I wish we could have stayed the whole day!

ANOTHER perk, is that we went on Wednesday and the pilots come into the Museum and sign autographs!!! It was so cool!!!

This was right on par with Jonathan right now, especially after his airplane themed birthday a couple months ago. He told me he wants to be a Blue Angel Pilot when he grows up, I told him I whole-heartedly approved!

"What was your favorite part?" Is my standard question when we do anything. Michael and Jonathan know the drill and are used to it, and I genuinely want to know! So I asked them and after they answered Jonathan said, "What was your favorite part, momma?" and before I could answer he said, "I know, your favorite thing was taking pictures!" Ha! How true! I realized after we got back that out of the 1,200 that I took, I took 400 there..in the 3 hours we were there! But taking photos makes me happy! So it was hard to narrow it down, but here are 32 of my favorites!


The Show:











The Museum:

Jonathan, inside a 1957 Blue Angel

Looking back at the Blue Angel's they let you sit in. Jonathan sat in the one to the far left.

I really liked this area...if you can tell.







Meeting LCDR Todd Royles, USN:

Todd Royles, #8


Jonathan getting his autograph!

The rest of the Museum:



My sweet pilots!



And of course, the engines.

More planes!

One of my hero's!

My boys looking at the Congressional Medal of Honor.





No comments:

Post a Comment